I recently conducted a dance research experiment, formulating a hypothesis to guide a study of the body in 60 minutes. For my study I wanted to use long exposure photography to track movement over time. For my specific research I chose to photograph a small phrase, and then retrograde the same phrase (dancing it from end to start rather than start to end) and take a photograph of that movement. I wanted to see if the two images, one dancing start to finish and the other finish to start, created the same movement picture. And with this study I hypothesized that my pairs of images would look the same. In an earlier post I have created a gallery with the 20 images my study created.
For the past week I have been working on creating posters for the Freshman Seminar event “Fieldwork”. Here are two options I have made that I think embody the event. I have had some experience with photoshop before, so I here was able to play with what I knew as well as experiment with newfound tools. I found that when making a poster, a piece of art that is informative towards a specific event, it was important to think of the text and photo as one whole. Having an image that would draw in a reader as well as incorporating the necessary text that would inform that reader was a difficult task, but it was a fun task to overcome. I am proud of the work I produced, and I look forward to creating more art on photoshop.